Kansas City (and the Midwest) welcomes IKEA

Fellow Midwesterners – the wait is almost over, IKEA Kansas City will open it’s doors on Wednesday September 10th.  The Merriam Kansas location will be IKEA’s 40th store in the United States (the St Louis location is due to open fall of 2015.)  If you think IKEA is just particle board pretend furniture, great – stay home, nothing to see here.  Who would want to shop 359,000 square feet of progressive, environmentally responsible wares?  For the rest of you that know better – here are some of my favorites from the IKEA media tour I attended last week (queue the celebration music.)

Fresh prints and textures that make me swoon

Ikea pillow tribal print

IKEA tribal throw pillow

Home accessories that wont break the bank and plants I can’t kill

Home accessories by Ikea

IKEA home accessories

Unique options that make decorating and organization fun

Dog bottom wall hooks Ikea

IKEA dog bottom wall hooks

Supervised children’s play area so when you shop – they play (now if we could sell this concept to grocery stores)

IKEA children's play area

IKEA children’s play area image via IKEA

Bedding prices you won’t lose sleep over

Duvet cover checked Ikea

IKEA Check duvet cover

A new concept to IKEA – wrapping paper and party supplies

Ikea wrapping paper

IKEA wrapping paper and paper supplies

Prices and selection for throw pillows that inspire hip change

Ikea pillows and inserts

IKEA throw pillows

IKEA kids items that could make you a Birthday party ledgend

Ikea items for kids

IKEA for kids

Rooms and living spaces that showcase furnishings, accessories and decorating inspirations that are more real life and less showroom

Ikea spaces and designs

IKEA spaces and design

Stylish lighting that sheds light on style without compromising price

IKEA lighting

IKEA lighting

A family centered bistro and Swedish food market –  because meatballs and Swedish Fish make everyday better

IKEA meatballs and Swedish Fish

IKEA meatballs and Swedish Fish

As if you needed any more reasons to head to IKEA’s 40th US location.  The IKEA opening is less big box store opening and more swanky Swedish festival.  The Governor of Kansas, prizes, meatballs for a year – the grand opening of IKEA Merriam is a retail party that will last for days.  My favorite perk to waiting in line for doors to open…the first 40 adults will receive a beautiful EKTORP sofa.  The 2015 IKEA catalog theme is “where everyday begins and ends,” I do believe this will be many Kansas City IKEA area shoppers theme as well.

Välkommen IKEA

BA-Signature

**Linking up at Life of Meg**

Comments

1. says

What a great little showcase to get me revved up to explore IKEA! I have Friday off, and I have my eye on lots of things (heaven, help our checkbook!) – throw pillows, rugs, hanging planters, prints, & frames. Can’t wait! :)

• littlemrssevenonesix says

Yes! So much goodness packed into that store! I can already hear my checking account crying…be sure to share what treasures you find on Friday Meg…thanks for stopping by ;)

• littlemrssevenonesix says

Hi Valerie! It has been long awaited. Many a trip to Dallas or MN to shop at IKEA…we are some excited folks here in KC! Have a wonderful day!

2. says

That’s exciting that you’re getting an IKEA! I’d never been to one until we moved to the Minneapolis area, and now they can’t keep me away from that place :)

3. says

I have a love hate relationship with IKEA. They have wonderful fun stuff to buy– loving the paper supplies— but I spend way too much every time! Can’t help it!!

4. says

Well now, I may even get excited to shop for my home with this post Becki! Just what I needed! Thanks for getting me pumped up about this wonderful store added to KC. Had no idea what I was missing.

5. says

I’ve never visited an Ikea before because the closest one is about 5 hours away, so it would have to be a weekend trip for us. I love it though! I’m always looking online. And I love that throw pillow!!

6. Anita Filardo says

Looking forward to experiencing Ikea for the first time! I have flipped the catalog pages many times since receiving it last week! Home decor and furninishings are my my obsessions!

7. says

Sigh. We don’t have a single Ikea in our entire country! I have to wait until each time we go to Australia to get an Ikea fix.

8. says

Finally we get our own local Ikea! No more paying for baggage over charges when I go to another Ikea city:) Those that haven’t had the pleasure of going to Ikea will be amazed at their brilliant streamlined shopping approach and attention to every single detail. I probably will wait a few days to venture out though:) Love your blog and so proud of you Doll:) xo Carol

• littlemrssevenonesix says

Oh Carol…thank you for stopping by! I can relate to the baggage overages with Ikea wares! I miss you…must see you soon!!!

9. says

That store is addicting. I go in for one little thing and leave with a cart of treasures! :) Really love the black and white pillows in your pics – hmmm…. another trip in my future maybe :)! xx, b @ being-bianca.com

• littlemrssevenonesix says

Hi Bianca…I completely agree. I lose track of time and money at IKEA. The good news about that pillow…its $16!!!!

10. Autumn Beach says

SO excited. As a long-time IKEA enthusiast, I STILL feel like I’m dreaming! I packed that tribal throw pillow home from a trip to North Carolina last fall, and I’m SO glad I did. I’m also SO glad I found your blog. :)